BSc MA PGDip DHP(NC) MNSHP&M
I have a life-long fascination with all types or spiritual and anomalous experiences. I endeavour to maintain a healthy balance between sober-minded scepticism and the intuitive sense of a deeper mystery to life. I haven’t had a full-blown spiritual crisis but have had a number of anomalous experiences. Therefore, I would probably describe myself as spiritually emergent rather than in emergency.
I do not try to impose my beliefs on others and am comfortable talking to people of many different beliefs about their experiences. I ran a small monthly discussion group on spiritual experience for about ten years and have a number of articles published in journals and magazines. The forms of spirituality that personally interest me are the Sufism of Idries Shah, Jungian psychology, Psychosynthesis, pagan beliefs, and the Western Esoteric traditions.
After gaining a BSc in Biomedical Science, an MA in Religious Experience, and a PGDip in Consciousness & Transpersonal Psychology, I became interested in counselling and psychotherapy. Subsequently, I trained in basic counselling skills before obtaining a diploma in Hypno-psychotherapy.
I am currently one of the Directors of the Spiritual Crisis Network (SCN) and assist with their email support service and peer-support group in Sheffield. I am also a Trustee of the Alister Hardy Trust, which supports research into religious and spiritual experiences.
Counselling & Psychotherapy Qualifications
Continuing Professional Development
- (2017) Diploma in Hypno-Psychotherapy, National College of Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (NCHP)
- (2016) Certificate in Hypno-Psychotherapy, NCHP
- (2011) Level 2 Helping Skills, NCFE
- (2010) Level 1 Interpersonal Skills, NCFE
- (2011) PGDip Consciousness & Transpersonal Psychology, Liverpool John Moores University
- (2008) MA Religious Experience, University of Wales Lampeter
- (1997) BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science, University of Keele
Continuing Professional Development
- (2021) MHFA Refresher
- (2019) Diversity & Equality, NCHP
- (2019) Psychopathology, NCHP
- (2018) Certificate in Online Therapy, NCHP
- (2018) Embodiment & Grounding in Spiritual Emergence, IMHU
- (2018) Exploring Spirituality with People Who Use Mental Health Services, RCPsych
- (2017) How To Effectively Support Someone in Spiritual Emergency, IMHU
- (2015) Mystical Experience & Meditation Related Psychological Problems, SCRC
- (2015) Effective Help for Someone in Spiritual Emergency, Emma Bragdon at Hope Academy
- (2014) Mental Health First Aid, Derby MIND/NOCN
- (2013) Back to Sanity, Steve Taylor
- (2013) Attention & Consciousness: The Science of Spirituality, Human Givens College
- (2012) Managing Stress with Mindfulness, Mental Health Foundation
- (2012) From Stress to Psychosis, Human Givens College
- (2012) Psychotherapy Foundation II, Human Givens College
- (2011) Psychosynthesis Essentials, Psychosynthesis & Education Trust
- (2010) Level 3 Award in First Line Management, Institute of Leadership & Management
- (2006) Level 3 C&G Certificate in Delivering Learning, Chesterfield College
- National Society of Hypnosis, Psychotherapy, & Mindfulness (Member)
- The Association for Transpersonal Psychology (ATP)
- The BPS Transpersonal Section
- The BPS Psychotherapy Section
- The Spiritual Crisis Network (SCN)
- The Alister Hardy Trust (AHT formerly AHSSSE)
I have a Diploma in Hypno-psychotherapy from the National College of Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (NCHP) and am a registered Spiritual Emergence Coach with IMHU. I am a registered hypnotherapist with the National Society for Hypnosis, Psychotherapy & Mindfulness and the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC).